Tri-City Healthcare District has been serving the North County region for almost 60 years and remains committed to providing high quality healthcare and community services for every individual we encounter regardless of race, color, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability or socioeconomic status.
Our mission is to advance the health and wellness of the community we serve. In order to achieve our mission, we see, hear and listen to our front line healthcare workers, employees, medical staff and all community stakeholders in order to understand and meet our community’s needs.
The Sterile Processing Department Technician are responsible for the processing and distribution of instruments and medical equipment used in-patient care areas and for the input of patient charges.
Major Position Responsibilities:
The position characteristics reflect the most important duties, responsibilities and competencies considered necessary to perform the essential functions of the job in a fully competent manner. They should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. The characteristics of the position and standards of performance may be changed by TCMC with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.
- Maintains a safe, clean working environment, including unit based safety and infection control requirements.
- Data Collection
- Documents and verifies sterilization loads and biological tests to determine the efficacy of the sterilization process.
- Documents and verifies washer check tests to determine the efficacy of the automated washer/disinfectors.
- Documents and verifies ultrasonic check tests to determine the efficacy of the ultrasonic cleaner.
- Documents the delivery of Patient Care Equipment.
- Technical Responsibilities
- Decontamination: Identifies and uses appropriate methods to sort, disassemble, decontaminate, rinse and disinfect instruments and equipment. Maintains safety standards.
- Preparing Instruments: Consistently uses count sheets to correctly assemble, inspect, protect, wrap, containerize and/or peel package and label instruments.
- Sterilization Process: Selects appropriate sterilization methods. Knows and follows correct principles of sterilization.
- High Level Disinfection: Identifies those items that require High Level Disinfection and performs and monitors per the Manufacturer’s Instructions for Use.
- Storage: Properly handles and stores sterile and or non-sterile supplies, equipment, and instruments.
- Distribution: Accesses Doctor Preference Card. Retrieves disburses medical and surgical supplies and equipment to the customer in a quality/timely manner.
- Equipment: Knows, uses, maintains, and operates the equipment specific to SPD, i.e. steam, gas plasma, washer/disinfectors, ultrasonic cleaners, and heat sealers.
- Inventory Control: Knows and uses the process involved in receiving, stocking, rotating and delivery of supplies. Communicates supplies issues in a timely manner.
- Environmental Standards: Maintains a clean orderly work area. Completes assigned housekeeping duties.
- Resource: Serves as a resource to customers on all SPD functions. Helps train new employees.
- Other: Performs all other related job duties as required. Tracks his/her progress and compliance in regards to training, staff meeting and in service education and hospital mandatory training.
- Two (2) years’ experience in a Hospital/Acute Care Surgical setting as a Sterile Processing Technician (also known as a Central Supply Technician or Instrument Room Technician) or as a Surgical Technician, required.
- Must be proficient in assembling large complex instrumentation such as spine, open heart, and robotic instrumentation.
- Certified Sterile Processing Technician (or Certified Surgical Technician), required.
- High School diploma or GED, required.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.
**To protect the health of patients and staff, and to comply with the new State of California mandates, all job offers are contingent on the successful engagement in the TCMC COVID-19 vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral.)**
TCHD is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression), age, marital status, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.