The Cardiovascular technician is a caregiver who assists in the performance of the cardiac catheterization.
Responsibilities include preparing the patient and the laboratory for the procedures, assisting the Cardiologist in a scrub assistant role for all types of procedures, and hemodynamic monitoring, collection and calculation of data. Accountable to the Cardiology Operations Manager. Provides care under the licensure and direct supervision of a Registered Nurse.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Prepares the patient for the procedure by explaining the process. Prepares the catheterization site and drapes the patient.
- Prepares a sterile field for the patient, and a sterile operating table. Prepares manifolds, catheters, balloons, stents and any devices to be used during the procedure.
- Scrubs in with the physician and assists in the passing of catheters & injection of radiopaque dye for the visualization of structures, and for interventional and diagnostic procedures.
- Monitors the patients vitals during the procedure and records, analyzes and measures hemodynamic waveforms for the diagnosis of cardiac conditions.
- Assists with transportation pre & post procedure. Performs job duties within the scope of their clinical practice, established competence and experience.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
Qualifications: (ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE)
- Minimum of one-year catheterization lab experience, required.
- Fulfills and maintains competencies.
- Graduate of an accredited Cardiovascular program of CVIS (Cardiovascular Invasive Specialty), preferred.
- Maintains current BLS and ACLS certification (ACLS required within 6 months of hire date.)
- RCIS (Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist), preferred.