Under the direct supervision, the Coder 1- Home Health is responsible for coding using ICD-9-CM (ICD-10) all diagnoses and visit applicable procedures of outpatient service visits. The position is also responsible for abstracting visit data for billing and data collection purposes.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Codes records using ICD-9-CM (ICD-10) and coding guidelines according to Hospital-Based Outpatient Service and quality monitoring criteria.
- Observes and reports unusual patterns in data collection and/or lack of adequate documentation for code assignments.
- Review agency documentation and provide ICD-9 (ICD-10) coding recommendations based on current coding and Oasis guidelines.
- Performs other related duties as requested by the Home Health Supervisor
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
- Working knowledge of Oasis, required.
- Minimum of two years previous experience with ICD-9 (ICD-10) coding, required.
- Knowledge of federal and state home health licensure regulations, required.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, compliance and reimbursement guidelines, required.
- Intermediate computer skill, required.
- Successful completion of skills assessment that evaluates application of candidate’s knowledge.
- Detail oriented with strong analytical skills, required.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility in response to unexpected changes in work volume and work schedule, required.
- Excellent human relations skills including listening, conflict resolution, and team building, required.
- High school diploma, required
- Completion of coding specific coursework required
- Certified in Home Health coding, required. May consider candidate scheduled to complete certification in Home Health coding within 12 months of hire.
- CCA or CCS, or CPC, required. AHIMA, preferred.