Under the direction of the department Technical Specialist or Laboratory Operations Manager, this position is accountable to prepare surgical and autopsy specimens for microscopic examination by the Pathologist. The incumbent in this position will support the mission, vision, values and strategic initiatives of TCMC and must demonstrate a commitment to quality service to patients, physicians, and co-workers.
Major Position Responsibilities:
Fixes, embeds, and cuts tissue for routine, histochemical, IHC, and special stain procedures..
- Assists the pathologist with cryosectioning and/or X-ray, as needed, for rapid diagnosis of surgical specimens.
- Assists in the research and development of new staining techniques and other procedures as needed
- Assists in teaching Histology principles and techniques to all new Histology assistants including cutting of tissue sections (frozen and paraffin) and routine and special staining.
- Prepares specimens and accompanying paperwork for send out tests.
- Prepares all necessary fixatives, stains, and other solutions and ensures a supply of working materials is maintained.
- Responsible for equipment operation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and training.
- Aids Histology Laboratory Assistants with special problems and assumes duties designated to Histology Laboratory Assistants as necessary. Assists in teaching histology principles and techniques to all new Histology Laboratory Assistants including cutting of tissue sections (frozen and paraffin) and routine and special staining.
- Responsible for all equipment, knowledgeable in all aspects of their operation, responsible for their maintenance and teachin correct use to all Laboratory personnel.
- Ensure all corporate safety, quality control and quality assurance standards are met.
- Performs other functions as assigned and/or required.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
- High school diploma or GED, required.
- Associate’s degree in biological science or equivalent, preferred.
- Certified Histotechnician HT (ASCP) or equivalent, required.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.