This position is responsible for the provision of clinical services in support of patients and nursing staff with wounds, ostomies, and incontinence related skin breakdown at Tri-City Medical Center. This RN functions as an integral member of the patient care team that performs in-depth wound, ostomy and nutritional assessments, evaluation of products and current plan of care. This RN consults with Physicians and experts in the field, as well as providing consultations and training to the nursing staff. The Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nurse (WOCN) guides and supports patient care staff using the Braden Scale for risk assessment, and provides appropriate instruction to staff nurses on care of patients through recommendations to Physicians with best practice interventions and products. The WOCN will act as a clinical resource for all team members for wound interpretation, ostomy care and maintain an expert level of skill in this area. . The individual must consistently support the mission and values of the Medical Center, and acts as a role model relative to the Medical Center’s Seven Standards of Excellence Program.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Serves as a clinical resource and consultant to physicians and nursing staff to ensure appropriate, coordinated care to individuals with wounds, ostomies and/or incontinence.
- Participates in competency and net learning development. Provides feedback to nurse supervisors and managers regarding progress and training of RN staff regarding wound, ostomy and incontinence training.
- Expert in the assessment and knowledge of pressure ulcers which results in the generation of a “pressure ulcer risk score” and trains RN staff on scoring.
- Expert in identification of staging definitions to assist physicians and nurses in the development of the plan of care, products and beds/mattresses to be used, and interventions to be assimilated.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
- Must be dependable, have integrity, initiative, tact, ability to work on details, ability to learn and possess a sense of values and ethical standards.
- Advanced knowledge in wound and ostomy evidence based practices.
- Computer literate in word and power point. Able to use excel and graphs for data collection, analyzing and reporting.
- Customer focused communication skills at all levels of interaction
- Leadership demonstration of openness to change thorough implementation of creative programs that support achievement of strategic initiatives.
- Self-learning needs and strategies to enhance current competency to respond to new leadership demands
- Critical thinking, able to discern grades of wounds. Consistent application of the Braden Scale with interpretation, evaluation and action.
- Documentation reflects appropriate interventions to increase skin integrity
- Ability to communicate effectively, but assertively to intervene on the patients behalf. Works well 1:1 and in a teams to obtain better than expected outcomes.
- Previous experience with computer applications.
Department specific competencies/certifications
- At least 3 years of RN experience.
- Proven record of accomplishment of the fundamental clinical skills of planning, organizing, facilitating, coordinating, collaborating, and the ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally with all levels of the organization.
- Must have the ability to train and develop other personnel in wound, ostomy and continence care by providing them with the knowledge gained through certification and experience on the job.
- Possess knowledge of the business of health care along the continuum of care, clinical decision support data analysis/synthesis, and quality improvement, regulatory and legislative issues.
- BSN or Bachelor's degree in related field required.
- MSN preferred.
- Completion of accredited WOCN educational program, required.
- Current California RN license, required.
- Current CA drivers license and automobile insurance, required (only if employee is conducting home care visits)
- CPR certification required.
- Certification as WOCN within 18 months of hire, required.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.