Temporary position: One (1) year with possible renewal
This position is responsible for the navigation of patient’s clinical care, education needs, and wig selection within TCHD. This person frequently works with individuals and related organizations that provide patient services or resources as part of the care delivery system. This person will develop professional relationships with individuals and organization representatives that make it easier for patients to get helpful assistance. This position will reduce barriers that keep patients from getting timely treatment and follow up cancer care. This position will uutilize skills for excellence in customer service, organizational management, leadership, planning, implementing, evaluating and providing care as it relates to the age and specific needs of the patient. This person will comply with hospital and nursing standards in the performance of job duties and responsibilities.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Collaboration with internal contacts, which will involve hospital ancillary services (e.g. nursing, laboratory, radiology, purchasing, engineering, housekeeping, pharmacy) as well as contact with Physicians in the performance of duties and if applicable the RN Navigator has regular external contacts which will involve (e.g. Home Care, nursing homes, durable medical equipment, ambulance/transportation services, and product vendors).
- Organizes and prioritizes patient requests for references, referrals and education.
- Acts as a patient advocate.
- Implements and coordinates in collaboration with the Senior Leadership, and other leaders to ensure quality services and outcomes.
- Ensures database accuracy and utilizes database reports for Quality Program.
- Initiates and participates as a change agent to improve access to patient education and resources.
- Obtains by self-initiative, advanced knowledge and credentials, and serves as a role model for patient education; implements standards of care and adheres to policy and procedures and all regulatory requirements (e.g. JCAHO, Medicare, and FDA).
- Coordinates care path for patient between primary care provides and specialists.
- Demonstrates the ability to oversee patient care throughout the continuum assuring that patients and families have clear expectations.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
Qualifications: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
- Personal history of cancer, preferred
- Minimum of 1- year experience as an LVN, prior Navigator, or Community Liaison in health care, preferred.
- Demonstrates computer skills required.
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills required.
- High school diploma or GED, required
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.