This position is responsible for the provision of clinical services in support of patients suffering from mental distress at Tri-City Medical Center. The Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, functions as an independent practitioner that performs in-depth psychiatric evaluation of patients, including the diagnosis and management of psychiatric disorders, medical mental conditions or substance abuse problems. The individual will also provide a wide range of services to adults, children, adolescents, and their families in a primary care facility, psychiatric emergency services in a hospital setting.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Evaluates patients, families, and home environment for admission to and continued service from the agency while maintaining confidentiality.
- Diagnose, conduct therapy, and prescribe medication for patients who have psychiatric disorders, medical mental conditions or substance abuse disorders.
- Provides emergency psychiatric services, psychosocial and physical assessment of their patients; treatment plans, and manages patient care.
- Serve as a consultant or educator for families and staff.
- Focuses on psychiatric diagnosis, including the differential diagnosis of mental disorders with psychiatric symptoms, and on medication treatment for psychiatric disorders.
- Practices under the supervision of the assigned supervising psychiatrist.
- The Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner provides care and comprehensive care and can:
- Evaluate an individual’s health history, performing a physical examination and ordering and interpreting results from appropriate laboratory and diagnostic test/procedures.
- Diagnose health and medical conditions by reviewing all available health information, and applying advanced clinical decision making processes.
- Manage health problems by developing an individualized plan of care, prescribing medications or treatments, obtaining consultations and referrals and coordinating health care services.
- Promote health by ordering screenings, prescribing preventive therapies (diets, exercise, etc.) and teaching/counseling of individuals, families, and groups.
- Collaborate with patients and families, and other health care providers.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
Qualifications: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in related field, required.
- Must be dependable, have integrity, initiative, tact, ability to work independently, ability to learn and possess a sense of values and ethical standards.
- Advance communication skills.
- Leadership demonstration of openness to change thorough implementation of creative programs that support achievement of strategic initiatives.
- Ability to effectively work with a multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience with computer applications and system implementation.
- Possess knowledge of the business of health care along the continuum of care, clinical decision support data analysis/synthesis, and quality improvement, regulatory and legislative issues.
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing, required.
- Master’s degree in nursing from an accredited college or university, required.
- Completion of an approved Adult, Child, or Family Nurse Practitioner program or completion of an approved Master’s level Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program issued by and accredited college or university.
- Licensure as a Registered Nurse, required.
- Currently certified by the State of California as a Nurse Practitioner, required.
- Credentialed as a prescriber.
- Possession of a California State-issued medication Furnishing Number.
- Possession of a DEA Number.
- National Board Certification in at least one population specialty; family, adult geriatric, psychiatric or acute care, preferred.
- NVCI certification within 90 days of hire or transfer, required.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.