This posting is for future consideration for a Medical Assistant - Front/Back office position.
The Medical Assistant - Front and Back Office performs a variety of clinical and clerical responsibilities to assist care providers in examination and treatment of patients. Enters pertinent information into patient charts, and performs related clerical tasks. Responsible for assisting the physician with all aspects of patient care including: rooming patients, taking vitals, and documenting patient histories. This position is responsible for accurately registering patients at time of check in and scheduling patient appointments in an efficient and timely manner, and for providing outstanding customer service.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates the ability to provide a high level of customer service and to work with patients of all ages with diverse social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds while maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- Collects vital signs and patient history, collects specimens and performs basic laboratory tests, as directed by physician in addition to other clinical tasks.
- Coordinates patient care as directed by physicians, and following company standards and policies.
- Records patient care documentation in the medical record accurately and in a timely manner.
- Assist with setup and cleanup of office procedures; equipment sterilization; medication administration; accurate documentation in electronic health record and medical supply inventory management.
- Help physicians examine and treat patients, handing them instruments or materials or performing such tasks as giving injections, removing sutures, changing dressing on wounds.
- Operate electrocardiogram (EKG) or other equipment to administer routine diagnostic tests.
- Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets, or physicians’ instructions to patients.
- Contact medical facilities or departments to schedule patients for tests or admission.
- Responsible for accurately and timely scheduling patient appointments with the appropriate information obtained.
- Interviews patient or patients’ representative to obtain necessary personal, financial, and demographic information.
- Prepares patient record and inputs into computer. Obtains all pertinent signatures, insurance information, and financial data to protect the clinic’s financial reimbursement.
- Answers telephone calls and routine inquires.
- Collects and applies co-payments, deductibles, and other payments as needed. Balances daily payment sheets.
- Processes and documents all calls through the computer system per policy and procedure.
- Communicates information in a clear and concise and professional manner at all times.
- Meets internal and external customer service expectations.
- Promotes departmental and clinic continuous quality and performance improvement.
- Adheres to all medical practice policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
Qualifications: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
- One to two years of experience as a medical assistant in a clinic, preferred.
- One to two years of experience scheduling appointments in a medical clinic environment or hospital, preferred.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, required.
- Excellent, professional and interpersonal skills and the ability to interact well with diverse groups of people, required.
- Maintains utmost confidentiality, required.
- Knowledge of medical procedures and basic medical terminology, required.
- Experience with electronic health records, preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, required.
- High School diploma or GED, required.
- Medical Assistant training and/or certificate required within 6 months of hire
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.