Assist the Medication Safety Officer in monitoring controlled substance usage house-wide, performs audits, inventory tracking, and training staff on proper CII Safe and controlled substance dispensing. Communicates with nursing management regularly regarding any discrepancies or follow-up needed for controlled substance reconciliation. If scheduling necessitates, this person will staff in a pharmacy technician position on an as needed basis.
Major Position Responsibilities:
Controlled Substance Tech Duties:
- Controlled substance use reconciliation
- Manage and maintain the CII safe
- Perform audits
- ADM troubleshooting
- Maintains Pyxis user data base in a timely manner
- Billing (Charges and Credits)
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or manager.
Performs all Pharmacy Tech Duties:
- Operates pharmacy computer systems accurately and efficiently.
- Prepares admixtures utilizing aseptic technique with adherence to USP <797>
- Maintains pharmacy, IV room and Laminar Flow hoods in a clean and orderly manner.
- Orders and restocks supplies.
- Assumes necessary telephone and reception duties. Answers pharmacy telephones in a timely and courteous manner. Takes messages that are clear and concise.
- Delivers patient medications to individual nursing stations. This includes STATS, Pyxis loads, Pyxis refills, and special circumstances. This includes properly labeling medications and returning medications to the pharmacy for credit.
- Fills STATS accurately and in a timely manner.
- Fills routine Pyxis loads and refills accurately and in a timely manner. This includes generating Pyxis lists, pulling the correct medication and quantity, using medication safety standards when loading new meds, checking another technician’s work, and delivering to nursing floors. The technician rounds will depend on the shift worked and guidelines that are pre-determined.
- Prepackages bulk medications using unit dose system.
- Assists with checking in and putting away the Wholesale order.
- Restocks crash cart boxes in an accurate and timely manner.
- Checks expiration dates routinely and removes unwanted and outdated merchandise from shelf.
- Fills and prices floor stock requisitions for all units.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
Qualifications: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
- Two (2) years hospital pharmacy experience, required.
- Pyxis, CII Safe and A-station experience, required.
- Situational judgment, required.
- Ability to work independently with the discernment of when to seek assistance from supervisor, required.
- Detail oriented, required.
- Proficient diagnostic skills and the ability to problem solve independently, required.
- Brand/generic name knowledge, required.
- Proficient in Excel, required.
- IV sterile technique competency, required.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- California Pharmacy Technician, required.
- Must be registered with the California State Board of Pharmacy Technicians.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.