The position characteristics reflect the most important duties, responsibilities and competencies considered necessary to perform the essential functions of the job in a fully competent manner. They should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. The characteristics of the position and standards of performance may be changed by TCMC with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.
The Sr. Legal Assistant performs a variety of duties for attorneys as well as maintaining a positive contact with clients, attorneys, staff and observe confidentiality of client matters.
- Primarily supports General Counsel, but may support CEO on various occasions.
- Prepares correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents from written and oral drafts; drafts standard correspondence, and other documents.
- Establishes and maintains calendar and deadline reminder systems; utilizes master calendar system. Opens new files, and maintains all client and general files. Conducts periodic review for possible storage of older files; prepares files to be closed.
- Works closely with administrative support staff and other hospital departments (Information Technology Department, Building Engineering, office services, etc.)
- Assists with contract management specialist as needed.
- Secures evidence and documentation relating to complex legal issues.
- Researches State and federal laws (Westlaw, U.S. Codes, policy manuals, Web Sites and other sources).
- Conducts and analyzes results of legal research and applies to current cases and issues using traditional and computerized techniques, in coordination with General Counsel
- Composes memoranda, correspondence, and drafts pleadings/responses dealing with legal subject matter requiring considerable discretion and judgment.
- Interviews witnesses to obtain relevant information at the request of General Counsel.
- Reviews and analyzes records and information from multiple sources and determine relevancy to specific issues
- Manages production of information and documentation for outside counsel or for investigative and/or enforcement agencies.
- Prepares synopses, abstracts or summaries of complex legal issues, in coordination with General Counsel.
- Develops internal procedures for managing recurring events and/or issues and train and assist support staff in their implementation, in coordination with General Counsel and Risk Manager.
- Receives and provides information requiring considerable judgment regarding specific business of the department.
- Prepares reports and analyses of internal caseloads, results and timing, in coordination with General Counsel.
- Coordinates TCMC’s responses to subpoenas for records, including determining appropriate responding units and educating unit personnel in making proper responses to subpoenas for records, and assist with handling of Government Claims ACT.
- Assist General Counsel with outside counsel, adverse parties, and various governmental agencies.
- Assist General Counsel with Board Reports, as well as summarization of legal status reports to CEO.
- Coordinates public record requests.
- Conduct discovery of interrogatories, with assistance of General Counsel, if needed.
- Reviews and researches issues relating to District Law, in coordination with General Counsel.
Additional Position Responsibilities:
- Screens telephone calls and records messages.
- Reads, sorts and dates incoming mail to legal department. Ensures that outgoing mail is timely delivered. If necessary, routes mail to specific delivery service and follows up on timely delivery.
- Receives clients and visitors; maintains good public relations with clients; observes confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Performs legal and executive assistant duties as requested.
- Makes appointments for attorney(s).
- Supports executive and Board-level committees as requested by General Counsel and CEO.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
Qualifications: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 15 years legal assistant experience from a law firm partner or general counsel, required.
- Experience with Contracts required.
- Transactional and litigation experience, preferred.
- Experience with hospital and/or healthcare, preferred.
- Ability to use or perform the following: telephone, FAX, e-mail; typing, filing, and word processor, required.
- Intermediate knowledge of Outlook, Power Point and Excel, required.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, human relations, required.
- High regard for sensitive and confidential information handled by the Legal Services department, required.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate and follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of clients, attorneys and staff to provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact required.
- Ability to read and write in order to proof and perform minor editing (e.g., punctuation, grammar, spelling) of routine law office correspondence and legal case matters, required.
- Perform non-complex arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations on forms and documents, required.
- Ability to transcribe legal documents, correspondence and reports from rough draft or dictation.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- High School Diploma, required.
- BA or BS from an accredited university, preferred.
- Currently enrolled or enrolled within six months of hire date into a Paralegal program, required.