An Orthopedic Specialist of North County Phone Operator/Scheduler is a motivated, professional and friendly individual who can effectively triage incoming phone calls and messages and directs all calls and messages appropriately. Phone Operator/Scheduler is responsible for providing all customers with a positive first impression of Orthopedic Specialists of North County. An OSNC Phone Operator/Scheduler will be responsible for triaging and scheduling new and existing patient appointments, registration of any new patient wishing to schedule an appointment, mailing of New Patient Paperwork as needed, monitor assigned provider schedules for accuracy, and act as a patient liaison. OSNC Phone Operator/Scheduler is to report directly to the Scheduling Supervisor
This position will work with patients, all internal departments to include, operations department, clinical department, business office, MRI department, physical therapy to accurately prepare patients for their office visit. The Phone Operator/Scheduler will ensure that patient satisfaction goals are met or exceeded.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Triaging phone calls
- Successfully determine if patient phone call requires immediate attention by another department or supervisor
- Appropriately screen calls to ensure that they are routed to correct department
- Accurately registers patient and/or verifies patient demographic information into practice management system
- Registers patient into patient portal and sends forms via portal or snail mails paperwork for those without internet access
- Schedules patient appointments for appropriate physician in correct time allocation and correct office (Carlsbad vs Oceanside)
- Responsible for monitoring assigned providers’ schedules to ensure scheduling is accurate and/or provider has full schedule, to be monitored at least 3 days out.
- Pulls new referrals from ‘Referral Pool’ in EHR system during down time on the phone
- Contacts patients who No-Show and offer to reschedule missed appointment
- Works dashboard at the beginning of every morning shift to ensure those patients who have cancelled their appointment via the service are cancelled from the schedule
- Works wait list from the dashboard
- Provides the highest quality service, meeting customer needs, with utmost kindness, care, compassion, courtesy, empathy and friendliness.
- Uses friendly voice, speaks clearly and is empathetic to patients’ needs
- Provides information needed for patient visit to include directions to appointment location
- Encourages patient portal
- Strives for maximum patient satisfaction
- Uses effective communication techniques to engage the patient and peers
- Works in collaboration with the Patient Coordinator Department, Front Desk personnel and clinical personnel
- May work at front desk checking in patients as needed per office volume
- May be required to assist Patient Coordinator Department
- May assist with patient form completion in office
- Ensures patient confidentiality is always protected, both audible and visual
- HIPPA Notice of Privacy Practice is on display and given to all new patients and then every three years
- Ensures compliance with all medical practice regulations, such as, but not limited to HIPAA and OSHA
May assist where any OSNC supervisor feels appropriate to best suit needs of OSNC
Demonstrates flexibility in schedules and assignments in order to meet the needs of the clinic.
Additional duties as assigned by Management.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
Responsible to maintain a safe and clean environment, including department/unit based safety and infection control requirements.
ESSENTIAL ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIORS
- Demonstrates behaviors that are consistent with the Medical Center’s Mission and Values
- Performs job responsibilities in an ethical, compliant manner consistent with the Medical Center’s values, policies, procedures and code of conduct.
- Works well with team members toward a common purpose. Reinforces the efforts and goals of the work group. Supports the team’s decisions, regardless of individual viewpoint.
- Demonstrates flexibility in schedules and assignments in order to meet the needs of the Work Unit/Department.
- Utilizes, maintains, and allocates equipment and supplies in a cost effective and efficient manner. Improves productivity through proper time management
- Seeks feedback from customers and team members in order to identify and improve processes and outcomes.
Qualifications: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma
- Minimum 1 year experience in healthcare, orthopedic specialty preferred
- Strong background in customer service
- Competencies in the areas of leadership, teamwork and cooperation
- Strong ethics and high level of personal and professional integrity
- An effective communicator at all levels in the organization with strong oral, written and persuasive skills
- Attendance will be exceptional and punctual as to not affect your immediate team members