Responsible for obtaining blood specimens from patients, assists in clerical duties of the department; enters test orders in the Lab Information System.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Obtains blood specimens from patients (all departments and patients including infants).
- Instructs out-patients in the proper collection of certain specimens.
- Distributes specimens to appropriate areas in the Lab.
- Keeps phlebotomy tray clean and stocked.
- Assists in the Reception/Triage area of the Lab as needed.
- Maintains a proper professional attitude at all times.
- Attends such continuing education programs as are available and appropriate to this position.
- May be required to process and set up microbiology specimens.
- May be required to obtain blood specimens from patients at contracted off-site facilities; may be required to use own transportation for this purpose.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
- Successful completion of a course of instruction in phlebotomy techniques.
- Minimum of 6 months of Phlebotomy experience required.
- High school diploma or GED required
- California Certified Phlebotomy Technician, required.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.