The staff Registered Nurse (RN) is a professional caregiver who performs patient assessment, develops, implements and evaluates effectiveness of an interdisciplinary plan of care for patient populations with various diagnoses. Maintains professional standards of conduct and ethics as outlined in department expectations and professional organizations. Provides education to patients, families, caregivers and other health professionals. Assists in the supervision of other staff members, students and volunteers, as appropriate. Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to patients'/caregivers' rights, as identified within the institution.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Assesses the patient's emotional and psychiatric needs.
- Coordinates with law enforcement regarding number of psychiatric patients and the availability of beds in BHS.
- Consults with the referring physician and/or nurse in charge of the patient to determine the need.
- Completes all required documentation including the RN Focus Assessment, Medication Reconciliation, PL Assessment, Suicide Risk Assessment, Elopement Risk Assessment, logs, and Requests to CMH as applicable.
- Initiates 72 hour holds when clinically indicated.
- Verifies payer benefits for all admissions and provides clinical information to insurance reviewers for pre-authorization.
- Coordinates admission to the inpatient unit with the psychiatrist and nursing staff
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
Current BLS certification, required upon hire; American Heart Association Healthcare Provider.
NVCI certification required within 90 days of hire.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.