The Peer Specialist will perform a variety of therapeutic and supportive tasks that include assisting their peers in articulating their goals for recovery, learning and practicing new skills, helping them monitor their progress, assisting them in their treatment, modeling effective coping techniques and self-help strategies based on the specialist's own recovery experience, and supporting them in advocating for themselves to obtain effective services.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Responsible for providing consumer information and peer support for clients in outpatient and inpatient settings.
- Function as a role model to peers; exhibiting competency in personal recovery and use coping skills; serve as a consumer advocate, providing consumer information and peer support for clients in outpatient and inpatient settings.
- Focuses on the safety and well-being of each client and family member.
- With the assistance and collaboration of hospital staff, provide referral and treatment services to transitional youth and adult with high level substance abuse problems and mental health issues.
- Work closely with hospital staff in the delivery of services.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
Qualifications: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum six (6) months of work experience with public contact, required.
- Demonstrated personal experience in recovery from a diagnosed mental disorder or mental disorder with co-occurring substance abuse disorder.
- Strong demonstrated public service orientation; effective in communicating with clients with a friendly, professional and personable demeanor.
- Demonstrated experience in working with individuals with mental health and substance use disorders.
- Ability to form an empathic, constructive working relationship with clients with co-occurring disorders.
- Experience facilitating skill building, motivational enhancement and psycho-educational groups.
- Ability to write complete clear written summaries of contacts with clients and community providers and other required documentation as necessary.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Peer Employment Training Certificate, required.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.