Applies safe food handling techniques and infection control and sanitation guidelines in the provision of safe and high quality food service to patients, employees, and customers. Participates in meal assembly, portion control, and delivery of food to patients, employees and customers. Utilizes good interpersonal skills in interactions with customers and patients. May assist in implementation of adequate nutrition care for patients, from pediatrics to geriatrics. May be responsible for money handling and operation of cash register.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Utilizes safety and infection control guidelines in maintaining a safe and clean work environment.
- Produces and portions foods for patients and customers.
- Utilizes portion control guidelines in delivery of food.
- May utilize nutrition guidelines to prepare meal trays for patients per diet prescription.
- May deliver trays to patient floors/rooms.
- Follows all regulatory guidelines in preparation and service of food.
- May operate cash register and have money handling responsibilities.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
Qualifications: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
- Numerical ability to be able to measure coffee, milk and other liquids as called for in a liquid restricted diet or other modified diets on patient trayline.
- Manual dexterity and motor coordination are required to handle dishes and trays rapidly and efficiently.
- Must be able to work with cleaning solutions and chemicals and have knowledge of proper handling of these cleaning solutions.
- Must demonstrate ability to complete on-the-job training, including the proper operational procedures for the dishwashing equipment, and must demonstrate knowledge of health and sanitation standards.
- Read, write, and speak English; able to read and comprehend menus and recipes.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Basic math skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units; ability to measure.
- Problem solving, organizing skills
- Safe food handling skills
- Infection control and sanitation guidelines knowledge
- Clerical ability to process paperwork.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Numerical abilities to evaluate and process calculations, money handling.
- Able to read and understand written instructions, recipes, labels and communicate with coworkers and supervisors.
- High school diploma or GED preferred, and/or equivalent work experience.
- Food Handler card required within 6 months of employment.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.