The role of the patient safety technician is to provide a safe environment for patients who are at high risk for untoward events. This person is responsible for assisting the registered nurse, in providing constant observation and general care to the patient assigned. This person functions under the direction of a RN.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Provide continuous observation of the patient, visually seeing and being with the patient at all times.
- Escort patient to and from bathroom, assist with nutrition, hydration and toileting, and document as required.
- Provide for comfort; change soiled sheets as needed
- Perform and document vital signs as ordered by the physician, (in the ED, at least every 4 hours)
- Assist in restraint application at direction of clinician leading team in the intervention
- Complete restraint documentation related to care provided, i.e. toileting, nutrition, hydration
- Report changes in patient clinical condition to professional staff in timely manner.
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
Qualifications: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
- Current BLS certification required.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.