The Perioperative Aide / WCS Aide is a nonprofessional support technician functioning under direct supervision in the department whose responsibility is to provide transportation of patients, retrieving of equipment, cleaning of rooms and equipment, and assistance to the department personnel to ensure smooth transition of patients. Assist in the delivery of patient care under the direct supervision and licensure of a Registered Nurse (RN) for infants (0 – 1 year of age), pediatrics (1 – 13 years of age), and adult (14 years of age and older population) with demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to patients'/caregivers' rights, as identified within the institution.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Transports patients to, from and within the assigned departments, assuring safe and age appropriate care,
- Assists with patient care in the perioperative or other department setting.
- Transports supplies, equipment, specimens, paperwork and other items as requested
- Efficiency and effectively performs assigned cleaning duties, in the assigned areas, including but not limited to Operating Rooms, PACU, Preop Admission area, Mother Baby, Women’s Children’s, support spaces, sterile processing, and other areas as assigned, following safety and infection control guidelines
- Restocks/resupplies assigned areas, including but not limited to patient care areas, locker rooms, support areas, transport oxygen
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities:
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
- Good Communication Skills, required.
- Experience in patient safety and body mechanics measures, required
- Heavy lifting may be required.
- Read, write, and speak English, required.
- Must be able to lift and transport patients greater than 100 pounds over uneven surfaces, required. (Labor & Delivery / Mother Baby Departments)
- High School diploma or GED required.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.