The Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP) is a professional caregiver who performs cardiopulmonary diagnostics, therapeutics and monitors within his/her scope of practice per TCMC physician approved policies, procedures and protocols. This position maintains professional standards of conduct and ethics as outlined in hospital and department expectations and professional organizations. The employee provides education to patients, families, caregivers and other health professionals. The RCP demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to patients'/caregivers' rights, as identified within the institution. Pulmonary Function Technologists may complete the same duties as RCPs and provide additional specialized testing of patients (PFTs). The RCP follows/adheres to guidelines of care.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Provide respiratory care therapies or diagnostics to patients and maintains specific level of RCP or RCP II competencies.
- Provide respiratory education to patients, family members or other healthcare providers (all levels)
- Ensure accurate documentation of therapies provided (all levels)
- Ensure accurate charging for therapies provided (all levels)
- RCP II: NICU critical intensive care RCP and General floor care, autonomous with adult critical intensive care.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
- Minimum of one year experience in acute care in respiratory theraphy and minimal of 2 years NICU experience at a level II or higher neonatal unit, required.
- Experience in Bronchoscopy resourcing, preferred.
- Pulomonary Rehabilitation experience, desired.
- Goodwritten and verbal communication skills
- Good organizational skills
- Graduate of an accredited school of Respiratory Care, required (all levels)
- Current California Respiratory Care Practitioner License, required.
- Current BLS certification required (all levels).
- RCP II: Registered Respiratory Therapist, required upon hire.
- RCP II: Current NRP certification, required.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.