OPERATING ROOM TECHNICIAN I or II
The Operating Room Technician is a care giver in the Operating Room whose responsibility is to prepare the Operating Room and assists the surgeon in a scrub role for all types of surgical procedures. Accountable to the Shift Supervisor/Unit Manager. Provides care under the licensure and direct supervision of a Registered Nurse for:
OR TECH II: infants (0-1year of age), pediatrics (1-3 years of age)
OR TECH I & II: adolescent/adult (14 years of age and older) population.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Maintains current physician preference cards.
- Assists the RN with patient care according to unit specific guidelines and within the Operating Room Technician scope of practice.
- Demonstrates proficiency in unit specific skills under the direction of the RN.
- Obtains non-controlled medications, but does not prepare them, from the computerized medication station.
- Under the direct supervision of the physician or registered nurse, instills contrast media into the common bile duct or epinephrine into an intestinal ulcer. (OR TECH II)
- Performs other related duties as delegated by the RN.
- Able to independently scrub 1-5 specialties of General, Vascular, Ophthalmology, ENT, Plastics, GYN, Orthopedics, Neuro, Urology outpatient or inpatient surgery procedures. (OR TECH II)
- Able to independently scrub surgical procedures performed at this institution. (OR TECH I & II)
- Utilizes nursing forms according to hospital/unit policy and guidelines within scope of practice.
- Assures the privacy, dignity and confidentiality of all patients/significant others.
- Functions with an awareness and application of safety issues as identified within the Medical Center.
- Performs efficiently in emergency situations following established policy and procedure under the direction of the RN.
- Demonstrates knowledge and practice of strict aseptic technique according to the Association of Operating Room Nurses (AORN)
- Maintains all unit specific and educational requirements.
- Performs appropriately and accepts responsibility for delegated duties.
- Participates in unit quality improvement program as directed.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills using lines of authority appropriately.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements
OR TECH I:
- Minimum 12 months experience as an OR Technologist or a recent graduate of an approved surgical technologist program within the last 180 days.
- Weekend Professional and Night Shift: 18 months of acute care surgical experience and ability to demonstrate competence in complex procedures including orthopedic and neuro surgery required (effective 1/21/2019 )
- Evening Shift: 18 months of acute care surgical experience and ability to demonstrate competence in complex procedures including orthopedic and neuro surgery preferred.
Current BLS certification, required.
OR Tech Certification, preferred.
OR TECH II:
- Minimum 18 months experience as an OR Technologist in an acute care surgical setting required.
- Current BLS certification, required.
- OR Tech Certification, required.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.