The Medical Records Clerk is responsible for assembling and organizing individual patient’s medical information, and then entering it into electronic health records (EHR). The Medical Records clerk processes and completes medical records requests from patients and outside providers.
- Works incoming electronic faxes. Drops records into patient chart or routes to the correct physician or staff needing to review documents
- Ensure all information entered into the EHR is accurate and complete including paper filing and electronic data
- Maintains and performs upkeep of the electronic records database
- Compiles, verifies, types and files medical records for practice
- Creates new patient accounts for patients not entered into Practice Management System in order to drop electronic charts in EHR
- Ensures records request forms are filled out accurately and completely before sending to third party records request company
- May assist patient with forms completion in person
- Sorts, stamps and distributes mail and ensures mail is ready for courier upon pick up
- Ensure that patient confidentiality is always protected, both audible and visible
- HIPAA Notice of privacy practices is on display and given to all new patients and then every three years
- Ensures compliance with all medical practice regulations, such as, but not limited to HIPAA and OSHA
- Performs other duties all other duties as assigned
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
Responsible to maintain a safe and clean environment, including department/unit based safety and infection control requirements.
ESSENTIAL ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIORS
- Demonstrates behaviors that are consistent with the Medical Center’s Mission and Values
- Performs job responsibilities in an ethical, compliant manner consistent with the Medical Center’s values, policies, procedures and code of conduct.
- Works well with team members toward a common purpose. Reinforces the efforts and goals of the work group. Supports the team’s decisions, regardless of individual viewpoint.
- Demonstrates flexibility in schedules and assignments in order to meet the needs of the Work Unit/Department.
- Utilizes, maintains, and allocates equipment and supplies in a cost effective and efficient manner. Improves productivity through proper time management
- Seeks feedback from customers and team members in order to identify and improve processes and outcomes.
Qualifications: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required
- Bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Administration, Medical Assisting or other related field, preferred
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in healthcare preferred
- Effective communications skills at all levels of the organization
- Computer proficiency, required
- Strong ethics and a high level of personal integrity, required
- Customer Service orientation, required