The staff Anesthesia Technologist (AT / CAT) is a paraprofessional caregiver in the Operating Room whose responsibility is to prepare the anesthesia equipment and assists the physician in a supportive role for all types of anesthesia delivery procedures and assist in the insertion of invasive lines and operate the intra-aortic balloon Pump under direction of the cardiac physician and to provide patient care under the direct supervision and licensure of a Registered Nurse (RN) for infants (0 – 1 year of age), pediatrics (1 – 13 years of age), and adult (14 years of age and older population) with demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to patients'/caregivers' rights, as identified within the institution.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Provides support for routine surgical cases by assisting in the preparation and maintenance of patient equipment and anesthesia delivery systems before, during and after anesthesia
- Performs first level maintenance on anesthesia equipment. Cleans, sterilizes, disinfects, stocks, orders and maintains the routine anesthesia equipment and supplies
- Assists the licensed anesthesia provider in clinical settings such as: the operating room (OR), obstetrics suite (OB), interventional and/or diagnostic radiology, Post anesthesia care unit (PACU), intensive care unit (ICU), CATH LAB, emergency room (ER), endoscopy, with patient assessments, evaluations, transport, positioning, insertion of intravenous and other invasive lines, and airway management possessing an understanding of anatomy and physiology as it applies to anesthesia care.
- Knows and adheres to guidelines, policies and safety requirements as determined by all relevant regulatory and standard setting agencies or organizations, participating in unit quality assurance, education and training activities
- Performs duties under the direct supervision of a licensed anesthesia provider and/or Registered Nurse (RN), assists in other patient care or unit duties as assigned.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
Qualifications: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.