The Network Engineer works independently, under the leadership of the Manager, Technical Services, and in collaboration with other Technical Services team members, to research, design, implement and support the TCMC network, and to assure the integrity and reliability of mission-critical Client/Server, Security, and Data Communications components of the network
The Network Engineer actively participates with Technical Services team members, and serves as technical leader and mentor, to assure that technologies are used appropriately to meet the goals and objectives of TCMC, and to help staff to continuously improve technical and analytical skills.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Under general guidelines from the Manager, Technical Services, the Network Engineer works with other senior staff members and consultants to research and design the TCMC network. This is an iterative process, which requires regular review of the network, assessment of new technologies, and incorporation of appropriate technologies into the network design.
- Analyzes, designs, implements, maintains and troubleshoots key technologies such as client/server (Servers, Network Operating Systems, workstations, network interface cards, printers and print servers) and data communications (cabling, hubs, switches, routers, network management, and communications protocols) hardware and software.
- Analyzes, designs, implements and maintains systems to manage and audit network activities (configuration, location, topologies, connectivity, unique network requirements).
- Actively participates with Technical Services team members, and serves as technical leader and mentor, to assure that technologies are used appropriately to meet the goals and objectives of TCMC, and to help staff to continuously improve technical and analytical skills.
- Works directly with customers to solve TCMC Network problems expeditiously. Independently solves problems by direct intervention or, if necessary, by obtaining needed support from consultants, vendors or management.
- Analyzes customer requirements for Client/Server and Data Communications Network systems, designs appropriate configurations to meet customer requirements, and implements Network hardware and software to meet those requirements.
- Solves networking problems through the use of network analyzers, network management tools, and other network monitoring utilities.
- Cross trains and works directly with other senior Technical Services staff members to assure that key technologies are used appropriately to meet the goals and objectives of TCMC.
- Independently manages technical projects, maintaining accepted project management procedures, managing changes to the project plan due to unforeseen events, and controlling all aspects of a project.
- Seeks out and shares information from vendors and other facilities to stay abreast of new technologies, and to appropriately match technologies to TCMC requirements. Uniquely understands and disseminates product information from multiple systems and/or vendors, formulating strategies and integrating diversified products. Coordinates multiple vendors and vendor products.
- On a rotating on call basis, provides 24 hour consulting support to Help Desk and customer staff on key technologies. Directs the activities of staff providing consulting support, and manages backup emergency support from vendors as needed.
- Participates in the development and implementation of process improvement projects ensuring the continued delivery of quality products and services.
- Performs additional duties to assist the organization in maximizing the use of its resources
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities:
Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
5 years of increasingly responsible position in field engineering or technical support
2 years experience as a network engineer playing a lead role in supporting a complex network with multiple network operating systems, protocols, etc.
The Network Engineer is an individual who has both formal and on the job training in network management.
Certification as a Novell Certified Engineer (CNE) or a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE), required
Additional professional certifications desirable.
Desirable for the individual to have obtained certifications and on the job training in data communications.