Provides quality patient care in relation to the patient’s oncologic diagnosis, prescribed treatment, age group, and other identified needs. Provides comprehensive pharmaceutical care to oncology patients to assure safe and effective drug therapy. Requires independent decision-making, clinical judgment, and in-depth knowledge of oncology and therapeutics.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Provides optimal selection of pharmacologic agents, and design of a regimen to maximize therapeutics benefit and minimize toxicity. Provides daily follow-up on the clinical effects of the regimen with adjustments as necessary to achieve desired outcomes.
- Round in the infusion area with direct patient care contact for visual assessment of physical and psychological signs of drug-related effects.
- Provides drug and clinical information to other healthcare professionals in response to specific questions relating to new evolving issues related to the care of patients.
- Provides drug and clinical information to other healthcare professionals in response to specific questions regarding new drugs, biologics, or technologies for specialized drug delivery. Provides a significant level of education to professionals and patients.
- Provides pharmacokinetics dosing and monitoring for all patients on drugs where therapeutics levels are reported.
- Assures that all drug storage and drug accountability is in compliance with federal and state requirements.
- Monitors that drug refrigerators are maintained within acceptable temperature range for drug storage.
- Maintains research drug accountability logs.
- Mixes blinded study drugs, and research clinical trial drugs as needed.
- Responsible for the safe and appropriate storage of all research clinical trial regimens.
- Available to the clinical trial monitors during audits and visits.
- Serves as a resource to clinic staff for pharmacy issues and medication information.
- Provides educational in services to staff.
- Oversees daily chemotherapy drug order by pharmacy technician, and provides necessary coverage of this task as needed.
- Assures that the clinic and research pharmacy is managed in accordance will California Pharmacy Law.
- Present at P&T when required.
- Create and update policies and procedures regarding chemotherapy and hazardous drugs.
- Maintain standardized pre-printed order sets at a regimen specific level.
- Maintains established clinic policies and procedures, objectives, quality monitoring program, safety, environmental and confidentiality standards.
- Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for own performance in regards to:
- Obtaining the necessary knowledge/skill needed to maintain competence
- Completing and maintaining all mandatory requirements
- Willingness to assist co-workers in completion of daily tasks or special projects to support the department’s efficiency
- Graduate from an accredited School of Pharmacy with PharmD. Degree
- California Board of Pharmacy Registered Pharmacist – Required
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.