The Network Specialist works under the direction of the Manager, Technical Services, and with the technical guidance of the Technical Services senior team members, to assure the integrity and reliability of components of the TCMC Network.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Implements, maintains and troubleshoots key Client technologies (Windows, Microsoft Outlook, workstation hardware, network interface cards, and print servers), and assists the Technical Services senior team members in implementing, maintaining and troubleshooting key Server and Data Communications technologies (Novell or NT servers, Network Operating Systems, routers, switches, hubs).
- On a rotating schedule with other Technical Services staff, provides periodic support and coverage for the Help Desk, responding to Service Desk calls and work orders in a timely manner, solving problems by direct intervention, and if necessary, logging TAMIS work orders.
- Evaluates the effectiveness and efficiency of Client hardware and software, makes improvements as needed, and makes recommendations to the Manager, Technical Services for required new hardware and software.
- Implements Client software security controls and virus protection, and assures that preventive and audit measures are in place to reduce the risk of security violations.
On a rotating schedule with other Technical Services staff:
- Provides coverage for early morning computer operations, as needed
- Provides evening, night, weekend and holiday on call support, as needed, for the operation of Client network devices
- When on call, obtains backup emergency consulting support from Information Technology engineers, analysts or managers, as needed.
- Configures network devices, using login scripts, print queue management, terminal emulation, and other techniques, to assure that network devices receive network services, such as email and file/print services, correctly and efficiently.
- Effectively uses technology management tools to implement and maintain Client hardware and software.
- Participates in the development and maintenance of Client network standards, and assures that network attached devices meet these standards.
- Seeks out and shares information from vendors and other facilities to stay abreast of new technologies, and to appropriately match technologies to TCMC requirements.
- Participates in the development and implementation of process improvement projects ensuring the continued delivery of quality products and services.
- Participates in creating an effective multidisciplinary approach to meeting Information Technology challenges.
- Performs additional duties to assist the organization in maximizing the use of its resources.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities:
Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
- Certification as a Field Technician
- 3 years experience as a field technician
- At least 1 year experience in administering small networks or network products such as MS/Exchange or an equivalent combination of education and experience.