The non-invasive cardiovascular technician is a caregiver wit responsibilities that include: image acquisition and
calculation of data during echocardiographic procedures; patient education, monitoring and collection of data during treadmill and tilt table procedures; patient education, preparation and interpretation of Holter monitoring procedures and image acquisition assistance with tee procedures.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- The acquisition of ultrasound echoes in visualizing cardiac structures, for the measurement of cardiac parameters i.e. ejection fraction, wall motion, value area, septal defects, thrombus etc.
- The preparation of patients for multi lead monitoring during exercise. Acquiring those ECGs with increasing degrees of stress by managing the speed and inclination of a treadmill. Technician complies ECG tracings for physician interpretation.
- Patient preparation and hook up to a continuous ECG monitoring device. Technician applies the device and removes it the following day after 24-hour acquisition. The technician scans the recording for abnormal tracings and correlates these events with patient logged observations for interpretation by a cardiologist.
- Applies electrodes and blood pressure device to monitor patient during changes in position from supine to standing. The patient’s heart rhythm and conscious state are monitored for fainting and aberrant heart rhythms.
- The completion of non-invasive procedures based on clinical training, educational certification, and competence.
- Type of non-invasive procedure includes but is not limited to: Echocardiography, cardiovascular testing (stress), Holter monitoring (Hoop up-Analysis).
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
Qualifications: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of one-year experience, required.
- Fulfills and maintains competencies, required
- Graduate of an Echocardiography program, required
- RCS (Registered Cardiac Sonographer) or RDCS (Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer), required.
- ARDMS (American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography), preferred.
- Current BLS certification, required.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.