Assists Pathologist(s) by preparing, screening and evaluating all NON – GYN cytology specimens. Maintains the supply of all materials necessary in the Cytology Laboratory; keeps abreast of new developments in the fields of Cytology.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Accessions, grossly describes, prepares, stains, coverslips, and labels all Cytology specimens as needed.
- Screens and microscopically evaluates all Cytology Specimens; no more than 80 slides per 24 hour period. Includes initial recognition and interpretation of a wide variety of pathologic entities and potentially cancerous changes by cytomorphology. Identifies areas on slides for Pathologist review and records initial interpretations.
- Locates and correlates previous surgical and cytologic material to the current cytology case for review and/or diagnosis by the Pathologist.
- Obtains pertinent clinical history when none is given.
- Assists the Pathologists and Radiologists in the collection, preparation and immediate interpretation of FNAs. This includes the use of rapid Pap and/or other diagnostic stains. Keeps FNA kit and cart stocked at all times.
- Knows how to use and maintain all cytology equipment.
- Takes proper personal safety precautions by using the biohazard cabinet and fume hood when dealing with potentially biohazardous materials/specimens.
- Assists in recording CAP workload statistics as well as compiling necessary quality control data.
- Participates in appropriate continuing education
- Performs such additional duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements
- Minimum of 1 year experience, preferred.
- Meets education requirements for Cytotechnologist licensure
- Valid California Cytotechnologist License, required
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.