The Manager of Social Service is expected to oversee the day-to-day operational processes of the Social Worker staff ensuring all areas of the facility have adequate Social Worker coverage. This position is responsible for refining/developing policies & procedures to meet regulatory requirements and improve departmental operational performance. Development of a Performance Improvement plan for the Social Worker area incorporating activity and outcome standards as well as implementing a performance audit process are key responsibilities. Additional responsibilities include providing staff guidance and education on the management of complex cases through individual one on one discussion and/or Case Rounds and Interdisciplinary Care Conferences. This Manager serves as the bridge between the Clinical Case Managers and Social Workers. The Manager of Social Service may also provide supervision to Associate Clinical Social Workers for LCSW certification, MSW student interns and training of new hires. Performs duties of a Social Services Case Manager as needed.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Responsible for managing the Social Worker Staff
- Hires, counsels, and completes performance evaluations for Social Worker staff
- Leads weekly meetings with the Social Work department discussing case studies, psychosocial issues, interventions, and potential solutions.
- Performs chart audits of Social Services documentation ensuring compliance to best practice standards
- Leader of the Social Services Practice Council
- Provides 24/7 on-call coverage for Social Services
- Required to cover 24-hour call coverage on an as determined schedule.
- Provides and implements discharge planning services to a varied population including high-risk patients.
- Performs therapeutic interventions in assisting patients and families in accepting and adjusting to their illness and course of treatment.
- Responsible for mandated reporting laws which include but may not be limited to APS, CPS, Domestic Violence, Violent Injury, and Tarasoff reporting.
- Provides crisis intervention and supportive counseling during hospitalization.
- Works closely with Case Managers and outside agencies with discharge planning.
- Assesses and utilizes appropriate community resources to transition patient to the community.
- Provides education to the patient/family regarding:
- Impact of psychosocial stressors on health and recovery and how to decrease negative impact and increase positive outcomes.
- Utilization of support systems and community resources to maximize and/or support positive therapeutic outcomes.
- Provides education to staff, both formally and informally regarding psychosocial issues as they relate to patient outcome as well as community resources to assist with post discharge care.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
- Three to five years’ Social Work management experience required.
- Three to five years Acute Care Hospital based Social Work experience required.
- Demonstrated advance d knowledge of the principles and practice of clinical social work.
- Highly developed skills in individual, family and group counseling methods.
- Competent in utilizing assessment and intervention skills with all populations.
- Knowledge of Eriksson’s developmental stages and age-specific behaviors.
- Must have a good understanding of community health, mental health and social agencies.
- Must adhere to the National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics.
- Ability to communicate effectively utilizing both written and verbal skills. Good computer skills preferred.
- Master’s Degree from an Accredited School of Social Work or graduate program with emphasis on psychosocial casework skills required.
- California Licensed Clinical Social Worker Certification required.
Course: 15 hour course in supervision of the Associate Clinical Social Workers.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.