The cardiac rehabilitation staff exercise physiologist (EP) is a professional caregiver who performs patient assessment, and develops, implements, and evaluates effectiveness of an exercise prescription for patients. The EP provides education to patients, families, and caregivers regarding risk factor modification, lifestyle changes, nutrition guidelines, stress management, medication understanding and compliance, and exercise guidelines. The EP may assist in the supervision of student interns and volunteers, as needed by the department. The EP works with other staff members to deliver safe, goal-oriented exercise sessions, teaches strength training classes, leads chair yoga and meditation classes, and other clinical activities of the program. The EP provides services in a manner consistent with TCMC’s mission and values, and demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to patients’/caregivers’ rights, as identified within the institution.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Develop patient exercise prescription and parameters based on clinical information and assessment
- ECG monitoring and interpretation.
- Educates patients and significant others regarding exercise theories and guidelines, nutrition guidelines, healthful lifestyle changes, stress management, and risk factor modification.
- Oversees exercise sessions and adapts exercise prescription appropriately.
- Assists with patient enrollment, billing, attendance, discharge planning, communication with other healthcare professionals, and outcome measures.
- Assists with adherence of AACVPR certification guidelines and re-certification process.
- Teaches group strength training, yoga, and meditation classes to all levels of participants in program.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
Qualifications: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
- Tele monitoring experience/rhythm recognition experience, preferred (Proficiency required within 1 year).
- Certification, experience, or training equivalent in group exercise, personal training, and/or lifestyle and wellness coaching, preferred.
- Experience in exercise program planning, supervision, and counseling, required.
- ECG monitoring experience/rhythm recognition, preferred (proficiency required within one year).
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in Exercise Science, Exercise Physiology, or related field, required.
- Master’s Degree, preferred.
- Current BLS, required.
- Current ACSM - Exercise Specialist certification, preferred.
- Current ACLS certification, required within 6 months of hire.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.