SPLIT POSITION: ACT/UNIT SECRETARY
Position Summary ACT:
An Advanced Care Technician work under the direction of a Registered Nurse, provides basic patient care and comfort measures for assigned patients. These duties are not to exclude other duties that may be assigned. Provides care for infant (0-1 year of age), emergency pediatric (1-13 years of age), and adult (14 years of age and older) populations.
Position Summary UNIT SECRETARY: Performs primary clerical and other duties as assigned under the direction of the RN on the nursing units.
Major Position Responsibilities ACT:
- Provides comfort measures to patients.
- Provides assistance with patient’s daily needs.
- Assists patients with meals as needed.
- Records and reports observations to immediate supervisor, including temperature, pulse, weight, and daily input and output.
- Cleans and prepares medical equipment. Reports condition of equipment.
- Assists in transporting patients, as necessary.
- Formula preparation (NICU Department)
Major Position Responsibilities UNIT SECRETARY:
- Transcription of orders and order entry.
- Facilitation of unit communication including telephone and answering patient call lights.
- Maintenance of unit supplies.
Qualifications ACT: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
- ACT: 3-6 months previous experience in an acute care facility, preferred.
Qualifications UNIT SECRETARY: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
- Previous clerical experience required (at least one (1) year of healthcare and/or hospital unit secretary preferred)
- Knowledge of medical terminology and charting abbreviations preferred
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements
Education ACT/UNIT SECRETARY:
- High School Diploma or GED, required.
- Current BLS certification required
- One or more of the following is required:
- Current California Certified Nurse Assistant Certification, (effective 4-13-2010), or
- Current California Licensed Vocational Nurse, or
- Corpsman (military), or
- Nursing student that has completed the fundamentals of nursing including initial assessment and taking vitals.
Certifications UNIT SECRETARY:
- Certificate from recognized Unit Secretary course desirable.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.