Reporting to the Director, Medical Records/Health Information; the Coding Manager will manage the day-to-day operations of the Coding section. Compiles and reports department statistics and performance improvement activities relating to the revenue cycle. Accountable for financial performance and service quality within the overall guidelines set by the Department Director.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Oversees guides and directs the coding and development of an expertise in coding practice.
- Establishes and implements coding guidelines to reflect billing requirements and standard data collection.
- Coordinates with other departments to facilitate the coding process and revenue cycle performance.
- Evaluates and implements educational programs to support current coding practice and preparations for transition to ICD-10.
- Performs quality reviews for coding staff, in order to validate code reimbursement assignments.
- Monitors government and industry information for correct code assignment, training and communications to the Medical Staff, to clarify supportive documentation requirements
- Initiates education activities with the Medical Staff Clinical Documentation Improvement specialists and other seeking to improve chart documentation.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities:
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
Qualifications: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
- 3 to 5 years management experience in the Medical Record/Health Information Department of an acute care hospital required.
- Must be able to successfully complete established competencies for the position within the designated probationary period
- Strong customer service orientation; strives to meet or exceed customer needs.
- Knowledge of personal computers and ability to work with common software programs for word processing, spreadsheet and graphics.
- Excellent organizational skills, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with the team, including physicians and nurses
- Ability to work under pressure and handle multiple tasks with time constraints
- Knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and accreditation standards governing health information management and release of information
- Strong management/human resource skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Information Management or related field, highly desirable
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), required.
- Certified Coding Specialist, CCS required
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.