Assists Pharmacists and the Department of Pharmacy at Tri-City Medical Center in ordering, preparing, and distributing medications.
Prepares IV additives and solutions as required using aseptic technique. Responsible for ordering and restocking supplies, and maintaining the IV room and pharmacy in a neat and orderly manner.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Fills routine Pyxis loads in an accurately and in a timely manner.
- Operates pharmacy computer systems accurately and efficiently.
- Familiarity with and adherence to USP <797> guidelines
- Appropriate garbing, cleaning, and maintenance of IV room and all equipment per USP <797> and CA State Board of Pharmacy regulations.
- Maintains the pharmacy in a clean and orderly manner.
- Orders and restocks supplies.
- Prepackages bulk medications using unit dose system.
- Delivers patient medications to individual nursing stations. This includes stat bags, Pyxis loads, Pyxis refills, and special circumstances. Returns unused medications to the pharmacy for credit.
- Fills STAT orders accurately and in a timely manner.
- Assists with checking in and putting away the Wholesale order.
- Restocks crash cart boxes in an accurate and timely manner.
- Fills and prices floor stock requisitions for all units.
- Prepares admixtures utilizing aseptic technique.
- Assumes telephone and reception duties and does so in a timely courteous manner, taking clear messages when necessary.
- Checks expiration dates routinely and removes unwanted and outdated merchandise from shelf and ADM.
- Notifies pharmacists or nursing stations of any ADM discrepancies.
- Assist in maintaining and updating recipe cards for preparation of batch items.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or manager.
- Pyxis: generating reports, finding empty pockets, checking status of Medstations, checking quantities.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
Qualifications: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
- Six (6) months hospital pharmacy experience preferred.
- Pyxis med station and CII Safe experience preferred
- Computer skills preferred
- IV sterile technique competency preferred
- Brand/generic name knowledge required
- IV admixture experience, required (OP Infusion Center only)
- Chemotherapy preparation experience preferred
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- California Pharmacy Technician License, required
- California Intern Pharmacist considered in lieu of California Pharmacy Technician license
- Maintains a current CPhT, Certified Pharmacy Technician, through the PTCB (Pharmacy Technician Certification Board) - Preferred
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.