Cooks excellent, wholesome, and quality food products for patients, hospital employees, visitors, and catering events by following standardized recipes and maintaining set standards of sanitation, personal hygiene, and safety.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Bakes, roasts, broils, and steams meat, fish, vegetables and other foods as required. Slices or portions food for serving. Prepares sufficient quantities of food in accordance with the menu utilizing accepted sanitary standards and standardized recipes.
- Practices portion control, according to established standards. Ensures proper food storage and elimination of waste. Plans cooking schedule so foods will be ready at specified times. Tests and tastes foods being prepared according to approved methods.
- Checks and ensures safe food temperatures for storing and serving food. Checks for indications of the presence of vermin, insects, and mold and the deterioration of foodstuffs.
- Cleans and sanitizes work area as appropriate and completes daily cleaning assignments. Ensures cleanliness and safe handling of cooking equipment and working utensils. Records amount of food prepared and left over on production sheets.
- Assembles trays at a reasonable rate with appropriate plate presentation.
- Assists in production planning by providing input at production meetings (i.e., forecasting needs, assisting in standardized recipe development).
Qualifications: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
- Manual dexterity required to manipulate and operate kitchen utensils and equipment skillfully.
- Numerical ability required in calculating recipe yields. Form perception and color discrimination required to detect differences in appearances of food indicating completion of cooking time, deterioration or contamination.
- Comprehensive knowledge of food items. Knowledge and able to demonstrate consistent practice of food safety/sanitation guidelines (i.e. HACCP/ServSafe).
- Required to read and understand written instructions, recipes and labels and to communicate with supervisors and food production employees.
- Two years experience in hospital, institutional, or restaurant food preparation, required.
- One year experience as a cook or assistant cook, preferred.
- High school graduate or equivalent experience, preferred.
- Culinary certification preferred.
- Food Handler card required within 6 months of employment.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.