Provides support, guidance, and performs delegated administrative functions on a hospital-wide basis during a specific shift. Has authority to act on behalf of administration and the management team and assumes responsibility for supervision of staff as a representative of administration. Assumes administrative authority for the level of patient care and standards of care. Serves as a liaison, resource and support person for all hospital staff, patients, families and physicians during their shift. Coordinates scheduling and flow of internal and external supplemental staff. Assures appropriate placement of patients using Interqual criteria and Aionex. Communicates with the on-call Clinical Director and/or Administrator on call as indicated. Escalates patient and employee issues to management as necessary. This person is responsible for the coordination of patient placement activities to optimize patient flow, patient outcomes, admission appropriateness, and cost efficiencies in support of organizational strategic initiatives.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Accepts organizational accountability for services provided to patients; interacts with patients, families, physicians and other customers professionally as needed.
- Functions as a liaison, role model and clinical resource for staff.
- Assists with coordination of care of patients between healthcare disciplines and across the continuum of healthcare.
- Assumes responsibility for staffing personnel with regard for scope of practice, competencies, patient needs and complexity of care as needed.
- Provides input into performance of personnel.
- Accountable for appropriate utilization of resources, human and materials.
- Takes accountability for personal professional growth and development.
- Demonstrates ability to optimize patient flow, patient placement and patient outcomes while optimizing utilization of resources.
- Collaborates with management team, staffing office, staff, physicians and medical groups to facilitate patient flow.
- Demonstrates effective verbal and written communication skill and ability to handle conflict and reach consensus and collaboration.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively use technological tools to optimize efficient and effective patient placement.
- Collects and uses data to improve timely decision-making.
- Active participation on the nursing units by completing regular rounds
- Manages daily bed meeting, helps determine optimal staffing plans for next shift
- Role models standards of service excellence to staff and leadership
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
- Advocates for a work environment that minimizes work related illness and injury.
Qualifications: ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
- 5 years experience with direct patient care, required.
- 2-5 years management experience preferred.
- Excellent decision-making ability regarding when to notify others about issues or situations.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to communicate effectively utilizing both written and verbal skills.
- Demonstrates initiative, integrity and strong sense of values and ethical standards.
- Knowledge of automated data systems, hospital information system database analysis and display preferred.
- Demonstrates dependability and initiative.
- Knowledge of Interqual criteria and Aionex (or willingness to learn.)
- Ability to make patient care and employee decisions.
- Possesses the fundamental management skills of planning, organizing, facilitating, coordinating, collaborating and the ability to communicate with all levels in the organization.
- Ability to train and develop other personnel by imparting knowledge gained over years of experience.
- Ability to respond to and manage emergency situations.
- Graduation from an accredited school of registered nursing.
- BSN required or will consider work experience commensurate with the role.
- MSN preferred.
- Current California Registered Nurse license required.
- Current BLS required.
- NVCI within 90 days of hire or transfer, required.
- ACLS preferred.
- Specialty certification by a nationally recognized nursing organization preferred.
Each new hire candidate who is offered employment must pass a physical evaluation, urine drug screen and pre-employment background checks before starting work.