The Registered Nurse (RN) Operating Room Surgery Schedule Supervisor is responsible for the daily management of the OR schedule and daily staffing requirements. The Surgery Schedule Supervisor coordinates interdepartmental communication with all involved in the care delivered to our patients.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Manages the daily surgery schedule including room assignments for cases, staffing assignments and equipment coordination.
- Communicates with staff concerning changes in their assignments.
- Assures there is sufficient staff to accommodate lunches and breaks without delaying schedule. Verifies that lunch times are assigned and time lengths are adhered to.
- Serves as a resource person to staff. Has adequate knowledge of procedures, equipment and supplies utilized in the OR.
- Makes staff assignments with consideration to staff competency.
- Oversees Perioperative Aides.
- Works with the Anesthesia Department
- Ensure appropriate staffing is available.
- Communicates schedule changes throughout the day with individual providers.
- Updates charge anesthesiologist as changes occur.
- Supervises Anesthesia Technicians.
- Coordinates the care of the surgical patient with ancillary departments.
- Confers with the Lead in Sterile Processing/Materials Management to ensure all cases are pulled and instruments are available.
- Works closely with the scheduling department to coordinate the surgery schedule for Pre-Op, OR and PACU.
- Rounds made hourly, and as needed, including going throughout the OR to see that duties and assignments are completed by staff in a timely and efficient manner.
- Gives a complete and accurate report to oncoming supervisor/designee. Ensures that all add-on cases are on the board, communicates to the OR staff and all involved departments.
- Serves as the central contact person for surgeons, anesthesia and associates.
- Promotes efficiencies in the daily schedule throughput.
- Fosters a positive working environment by enhancing relationship with physicians, leading by example.
- Conducts daily communication with service line specialty coordinators.
- Communicates with Clinical Educator for orientation and training of all staff.
- Collaborates with Director and Assistant Director to identify and solve concerns and issues.
- Quality Measures – Ensures completion of monthly audits, outdates & task lists.
- Approves Kronos time and schedules for assigned employees. Conducts and administers performance evaluations for assigned employees.
- Exercise supervisory responsibilities over assigned employees and provides timely intervention, including disciplining of employees as may be consistent with hospital policy.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Safety and Infection Control Responsibilities
Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including unit based specific safety and infection control requirements.
- Minimum five (5) years Acute Care Operating Room experience, required.
- Minimum two (2) years Acute Care Operating Room supervisory experience, required.
- Knowledge of Employee Health Record (EHR), required. Cerner experience, preferred.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing, required
- BSN, preferred
- Current California RN Licensure, required.
- Current BLS required upon hire; American Heart Association Healthcare Provider.
- ACLS & CNOR, required upon hire or within 12 months of hire.